You are out for a long ride and your electric scooter runs out of a charge? What’s worse than such a situation? That’s where you need to buy a long range electric scooter specially manufactured to cover the maximum distance on a single charge. The most effective way to avoid such issues is to fully charge an electric scooter before start riding. The question is how long does it take to charge an electric scooter? Depending on the manufacturer, battery power, and model of the e-scooter, it takes 6-12 hours to charge the scooter completely.
How Long Does It Take To Charge An Electric Scooter?
Most people are confused about whether to charge their scooter after every use or not. Well, it depends on the type of battery used in your scooter. You can also check an ultimate battery guide for better understanding. Whether you are riding an electric scooter for adults or want to commute with an electric scooter, a fully charged electric scooter is your top priority. There are two major types of batteries including NiCad battery and Lithium-ion battery. Both have many similarities and differences.
Featuring so-called Charge Memory; NiCad batteries need to have deep release cycles. In simple words, it is important to charge the battery fully and empty the battery fully. If you don’t follow the pattern, you are going to damage the batter. However, it takes more time to charge NiCad batteries as they must be emptied before charging.
One of the most famous types of batteries used in modern electric scooters, the lithium-ion battery can be charged anytime without worrying about its health. However, experts recommended allowing the battery to be partially discharged.
How to Charge an Electric Scooter Properly
First of all, make sure you have the proper charge for your scooter. This is crucial as incorrect voltage can damage the battery or may lead to short circuits. Commonly, the voltage needed for an electric scooter charge ranges from 24 to 36 per charger.
Now plug in the connector on an electric scooter. Remember, charging vents may different from brands and models. Make sure to read the guide to avoid any inconvenience. Find the red light which indicates that the battery is charging.
When the battery is fully charged, the green light will inform you. Unplug the charger and you are ready to ride.
Useful Tips for Electric Scooter Charging
- It is highly recommended to fully charge the electric scooter. There will be an LED that turns green when the battery is 100% charged.
- Never charge an electric scooter after a ride. The reason is that the battery warms up after riding and you should charge a warm battery. Allow the battery to cool down properly before charging it.
- Don’t ride your electric scooter right away after charging. The battery gets fairly hot during charging, and if you ride it immediately, it will heat up and tissues may get damaged.
- Make sure to charge the battery at room temperature.
- Keep the battery charged. A lithium-ion battery doesn’t work when not charged properly. Make sure to maintain the battery level above 30 percent. If you don’t maintain such a level and take it to 15 percent or low, the chances are your battery will last for short time.
- Never overcharge the battery of an electric scooter. When the charging is completed, make sure to unplug the charger from the power socket.
You should charge your electric scooter completely to avoid any inconvenience during riding. Make sure to read the available instructions with an e-scooter. The charging time may be different depending on the scooter type, power, battery, and other features. For best results, make sure to charge the scooter at night.